Tuesday 4 December 2012

In Defence Of Sexism


I have just sat through another sexist TV advert and my blood is boiling. But, you may be shocked to hear, it's not because the advert is sexist but that the powers that be allow men to be depicted in this way but what would happen if it was aimed at women?

Let me take you back to 2002 and the Yorkie "It's not for girls" campaign. I liked this, it was funny, very much "tongue in cheek" and if you have a sense of humour, utterly non offensive. The clip attached to this blog is a great example; I actually remember my mum proudly announcing that she would buy a Yorkie the next morning just because of the slogan. Sadly, stupidity followed, sampling activity based around the campaign was banned in several cities, including Birmingham and Liverpool, after being deemed "sexist." Now, I disagree with this, but if you set a standard you must stick to it. However it appears men are easy targets.

My first annoyance was with a Boots cold remedy advert. I think it has appeared a few times over the cold and flu seasons. Two women, full of cold, talking about how busy they are and how their poor husband's are at home suffering from "a bit of a cold," oh the poor mites. Obviously all men are useless hypochondriacs when faced with a sniffle. This is not my experience at all, but hey, lets have a laugh at men, the useless bastards.

Recently it is the Christmas adverts from ASDA and Morrison's. Of course what happens at Christmas is men do nothing to help. It is far too dangerous to allow a man to do anything without direct supervision because he would get it wrong. I couldn't begin to describe the amount of work my Dad did to provide for a good Christmas for us as a family and I don't know any family where both parents were together where this wasn't the case. But hey, massive brands are allowed to demean men in this way. Just a thought on the ASDA advert, if your man leaves you to sit on the bean bag for Christmas dinner, dump him, seriously, don't let his arse touch the floor as you kick him out.

But should they ban these adverts with demeaning stereotypes of men? No, absolutely not. Don't take them seriously, they shouldn't be taken seriously and you know what? This is a free world. Ladies can buy a different company's chocolate bar if they are so offended, I can shop somewhere other than the offending supermarkets and get cold remedies from Superdrug. Vote with your feet people!

Also, could you poke fun at women in the same way? Well I don't think so. Let's say someone has invented a way to install an automatic parking system on any car (such devices exist in some new cars but it is not mainstream yet) and to do it cheaply. My advert opens with a small car struggling to park in a bay, cut to inside and the woman shakes her head, smiles at a man in the seat next to her and asks him to park. It would work like a montage of similar clips of women failing miserably to park leaving frustrated men to park the cars while women walk away in various moods. Then some clever slogan and explanation of the amazing auto parking system. What do you think would happen? No worse than the ASDA advert is it? But just imagine the reaction.

Much like referees in football matches it is consistency I want. So I say let the adverts happen but when some feminists get their knickers in a twist over some slight let's remind them of ASDA and Boots. Lets ask them what they think of the demeaning way men are portrayed in those adverts and suggest they get a life. But women will never be portrayed like that, ad men and women will be far too scared to do so. It's career suicide and they know it, best stick to picking on men.

Robert



For more from I Like Being Right follow us on twitter, @ilikebeingright or join our Facebook page

3 comments:

  1. Why do you think feminists need reminding about the Asda and Morrison's ads? I'm a feminist and I think they're totally cringeworthy. Awful. I commented last night how crap it is that women are always shown huffing and puffing around the shops and doing all the cooking. It's like something from the 1950s. Bor-ing.

    I hate ads that sexualise blokes. Remember the diet coke ad from a few years back when the girls all rush to see the guy fix the lift? Terrible. And he wasn't even hot! (I'm joking.) Imagine it the other way round?

    The argument is that women have been represented in a demeaning, stereotypical way for decades (see Mad Men) and this is payback. That's BS though. Ads should reflect real life. Both men and women cook, do chores, go shopping, raise kids, diet, shop, exercise, buy cars etc.. And ads should reflect that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post and I agree we are too often seen as easy taargets who won't fight back.
    Mind you as I gave up watching TellyBox some time ago I haven't seen the two recent ones you talk about.

    If you want to take the theme a bit further, how about the way anyone who wants lower taxes, less EU, is not convinced by global warming greenery is depicted in 'comedy programmes'? Figures of fun, clearly not to be taken seriously, just worthy of a cheap laugh....

    Thanks MwD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one, Rob. (Tip: If you highlight all the text then select the 'Remove formatting' icon, you will get rid of those annoying white backgrounds.)

    ReplyDelete